church as we know it today was probably built soon after 1100AD.
It consisted of a small nave and chancel. The church was lit
by small round-headed windows and the roof was probably made
of thatch. The north aisle, the east window and the right hand
window of the north wall were added in the 14th century. In
1573 the beautiful Elizabethan chalice and paten were presented
to the church. The royal arms over the chancel were added after
the restoration of the monarchy in 1660.
1713 the east wall of the chancel was rebuilt at the east end.
Under this window is a finely carved Reredos, representing the
Last Supper. It can now be found in the south aisle. The tower
was erected at the west end in the 15th century. Box pews and
a double decker pulpit were added in the 18th century and five
of the peal of six bells were cast by William Evans of Chepstow.
south aisle and the south arcade of the nave were added in 1863
and the treble bell was added in 1904. The bells were rehung
in 1962 to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth 11.
In 1963 a new stained glass window was placed at the east end
of the north aisle. The organ was placed in the church by public
subscription in 1965 and in 1966 a new frontal was presented
for the altar.
the late 1990s the church was once again in need of remedial work
on the tower, north west wall, the porch, the altarpiece, guttering
and replastering. General Beckett set the parish a target of £150,000
to pay for the structural repairs required on the tower etc. This
seemed an enormous task but thanks to his very hard work and contacts,
grants from English Heritage and other charities and the many
fund raising events and donations the target was reached in early
2001. There is more work to be done on the interior of the church
and fundraising will be on going for many years to come.