home businesses services virtual walk what's on clubs church history snowdrop valley things to do photo gallery

LOCAL HISTORY

WAR MEMORIAL

Another hill-country War Memorial was unveiled on Friday last at Wheddon Cross (February 1921) where a neat monument of grey granite has been placed in a conspicuous position at the cross roads. The Memorial was unveiled by Sir R.A Sanders, Bart, M.P., and dedicated by the Reverend. G.L Fitzmaurice (vicar).

The Memorial which was designed and made by Messrs. Slade Bros. of Quirke Street, Minehead and takes the form of an obelisk mounted on two square bases of grey granite. It stands on an octagonal base of cement and a small space around has been neatly laid out and gravelled. It is intended when further funds are available to enclose this space with chain railings.

At the hour fixed for the ceremony a large number of parishioners assembled though a bitter wind swept across the hill '(nothing changes)'. From the direction of the school came a small procession including Sir Robert Sanders, Rev. Fitzmaurice,
Rev. J Squire (Methodist Minister) and the choir.

The Vicar read out the inscription and names on the Memorial and a number of wreaths were laid. One large wreath of laurel leaves tied with a red, white and blue ribbon having the place of honour at the front as representing the village.

There then followed a service. The bugler was Mr W House of the Minehead Branch of the Comrades of the Great War.

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF OUR GLORIOUS DEAD FROM THE
PARISH OF CUTCOMBE - 1914-1918

J BENNET
R BENNET
A CROCKFORD
S MELHUISH
W SMITH
H STEVENS

THEIR NAMES LIVETH FOR EVERMORE

|home|