home businesses services virtual walk what's on clubs church history snowdrop valley things to do photo gallery



Return to www.wheddoncross.org.uk

Notice of the Ordinary Council Meeting – Tuesday 17 September 2019 at 7.30 pm in the Moorland Hall

All Council Meetings are open to members of the public and the press

AGENDA
1. Public Question Time
2. Apologies for Absence
3. Declarations of interest
4. To approve the minutes of the ordinary meeting held on 16 July 2019, and any outstanding actions from the meeting
5. Reports from District and County Councillors
6. To consider Highways and transport matters, including
6.1 Long Lane
7. Planning Applications: - none received
7.1 To consider response to 5G Mobile Coverage in Rural Areas
7.2 To consider response to BT proposal to remove phonebox at Luckwell Bridge
7.3 Other Planning Matters
8. To receive update from Snowdrop Valley Committee and:
8.1 To approve the selection of a bus operator
8.2 To approve the proposed budget
9. Finance:
9.1 To consider report and recommendations from Finance Group
9.2 To consider recommendation from Finance Group regarding response to review into Local Government Audit
9.3 To agree to pay Water 2 Business £304.92 for Water supply to toilets 9 February to 13 August
9.4 To agree to pay Moorland Hall £11.25 for July room hire
9.5 To agree to pay Mrs N Kemp Clerks Salary £939.49 and expenses £56.60
9.6 To consider request for funding from Moorland Hall for roof
9.7 To consider request for annual grant from Exmoor Youth Club
10. To consider response to online consultation for proposed changes to Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
11. Correspondence and meetings
11.1 Clerk’s report on correspondence received and meetings attended
11.2 Councillors’ report on correspondence received and meetings attended
12. Items for the next Agenda

Date of next meeting: Tuesday 15 October 2019

Minutes of the Ordinary Parish Council Meeting held at 7.30pm on Tuesday 17 September 2019 at the Moorland Hall

Present: Councillors John Anson (Chairman), Eric Clarbull, Eric Norman, Roger Webber, Vivian White, SWT Cllr Steven Pugsley (part of meeting), Parish Clerk Nic Kemp, and three members of the public

Cllr Anson opened the meeting at 7.30pm

269.1 Public Question Time: Points raised – At the Annual Parish meeting it was stated that Council would put details of registering land into the parish magazine but this has not happened.
Cllr Anson replied that details would be written for the magazine.

269.2 Apologies for Absence: Cllrs John Davis and Roger Foxwell, Co Cllr Frances Nicholson.
Cllr Anson noted that SWaT Cllr Steven Pugsley was absent but expected he would attend later if possible

269.3 Declarations of Interest:
Cllr Anson – Item 9.4 – Personal – Trustee of Moorland Hall

269.4 Minutes of the Previous Meeting: The minutes of the ordinary meeting held on 16 July 2019 were approved and signed by Cllr Anson as a true record. Outstanding Actions: 268.7 Clerk confirmed Cllr Foxwell has confirmed he is in contact with relevant parties at Highways and arranging own meetings. Clerk has written to Highways thanking for works at Popery Lane, and raising concerns over road near Beulah Chapel. Clerk has also written to Exmoor Panel raising concerns over road near Beulah Chapel. Clls Anson confirmed it was discussed at Panel meeting, and the relevant landowners will be contacted. 268.11 Letter was submitted re proposed changes to Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.

269.5 Reports from District and County Councillors: Not present.

269.6 Highways and Transport Matters:
Clerk reported attending meeting with Cllr Foxwell and Traffic Engineer to review locations for SIDS. Two additional sites were selected.
269.6.1 – Long Lane – No work has been carried out. Clerk reported flooding to Highways following rainfall previous week. All drains and grips along length blocked. There has been no action since the meeting in May.
Cllr Anson reported Cllr Nicholson was addressing issues with the road closure on the Exford to Simonsbath road (24 hours per day for 26 days from 21 October) as the diversion route used Porlock Hill which is not suitable for HGV. Cllr Webber proposed (Cllr Clarbull sec) objecting to the road closure on the grounds of access to businesses, in particular the livestock markets, and the need for discussion on relevant traffic being allowed through the closure. Unanimously agreed. Clerk to action.
Regarding the SIDS equipment and new agreement sent through by SCC Highways, Cllr Webber proposed (Cllr Clarbull sec) writing to Highways informing them that the SIDS equipment would be sited at the already agreed locations from 2 October in line with the agreement on which the equipment was purchased (from 2018), unless Council received a reply within 5 working days to the contrary. Unanimously agreed. Clerk to action.
Cllr Webber reported that Cllr Foxwell had contacted SCC Highways to complain about damaged hazard sign near Lype Corner.

Cllr Pugsley joined the meeting and a member of the public left at 7.55pm

269.5 Report from District and County Councillors: Returned to item 5 to allow Cllr Pugsley to report. Cllr Pugsley confirmed that the Panel will be writing to landowners of hedges to either side of Beulah Chapel. Winter salting – all routes have been restored. No small bags of salt will be provided. Highways will fill bins. Highways will provide dumpy bags and remove at end of winter.
New District Council may be able to contribute to toilets which have been taken on by parishes, and may be able to support Parish Lengthsman service.
Regarding reports to delays in planning process due to staff numbers, Cllr Pugsley advised if anyone was disadvantaged by a delay in the process he should be informed and would follow this up. Staff changes have also affected progress of Rural Housing Working Group.
Exmoor Young Voices are holding a summit in October to get all relevant organisations and companies to sign up to a charter of what actions are required and by whom.
ENPA is carrying out a survey of businesses within the park to identify what businesses exist and to gain their views.

269.7 Planning Applications: No new applications received.
269.7.1 – Response to 5G Mobile Coverage in Rural Areas – It was agreed (4 votes for, 1 abstain) to respond supporting the proposals in the 3 questions in the consultation. Clerk to action.
269.7.2 – Response to BT Proposal to remove phonebox at Luckwell Bridge – It was agreed object to the proposal, on the grounds of mobile signal coverage, and lack of option to use card to pay for calls. Response to be copied to ENPA. Clerk to action.
Cllr White left the meeting at 8.49pm
269.7.3 – Other Planning Matters – Clerk reported applications at Horsecombe Farm and the Sports Pavillion had been approved.
Cllr White returned and a member of the public left the meeting at 8.50pm

269.10 Response to online consultation for proposed changed to Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service: Taken out of order.
To ensure Council’s response is recognised, it was agreed that the Clerk should respond on behalf of the Council to the online consultation.
Cllr Webber proposed (Cllr Clarbull sec) writing to the MP to apply pressure on issue and to ensure responses from organisations such as Councils are given appropriate weight (not counted as individual responses) in the consultation. Unanimously agreed. Clerk to action. Clerk will also send link and suggested responses to all councillors.

Cllr Anson thanked Cllr Pugsley and gave him leave to retire, Cllr Pugsley left the meeting at 9pm.

269.9 Finance:
269.9.1 – Report and Recommendations from Finance Group – Cllr Webber reported from the Finance meeting with updated on financial situation; online banking – where no suitable account has yet been found; proposed updates to Financial Regulations, with the following approved:
3.3 – suggest rewording to “The RFO shall provide the finance group, who shall meet at least 3 times per year, with a statement of …….”
3.4 – suggest adding to the end “For amounts over £100, the Clerk shall consult with the Chair of the Council and the Chair of the Finance Group who shall either authorise the expenditure, or determine if an extraordinary meeting shall be convened to authorise the expenditure.”
5.2 – suggest rewording second sentence to “If the schedule is in order it shall be authorised by resolution of the Council and the detail shown in the Minutes of the meeting”
5.3 – suggest adding “or in exceptional circumstances by one member of the Council and the Clerk”
16.1 – amend to “The Clerk/RFO…”
16.3 – amend “2003 and 2006” to “2003, 2006 and 2015”
It was agreed Regulations 6.5, 9.1, 9.5, and 9.9 need further consideration and Finance Group will report back after next meeting. Clerk to action.
It was agreed that the Clerk would attend a SALC run VAT Course in November.
Toilets – it was agreed to have as regular agenda item under Finance.
Spend within the Community – it was suggested that the community be asked for any suggested areas – current suggestions: Burial Ground, Environment, Trees.
Website – Cost to run/manage website should be £4pcm (plus VAT) for hosting and domain name.
269.9.2 – Recommendation from Finance Group regarding response to review into Local Government Audit – it was agreed to query if the lower £25k threshold could be raised, and highlight that the process is lengthy
269.9.3 – It was agreed to pay Water2Business £304.92 for water supply to toilets for period 9 February 2019 to 13 August 2019
269.9.4 – It was agreed to pay Moorland Hall £11.25 for July room hire
269.9.5 – It was agreed to pay Mrs N Kemp Clerk’s Salary (July-September) £939.49 and expenses £56.60
269.9.6 – Request for funding from Moorland Hall for roof – Clerk to request meeting between Chair of Moorland Hall Trustees and Cllrs Anson and Webber to discuss situation and request further information.
269.9.7 – Request for annual grant from Exmoor Youth Club – Cllr White proposed amending the proposal to remove the word “annual”. Unanimously agreed. Cllr Clarbull proposed (Cllr Norman sec) a one-off donation of £200. Unanimously agreed.

269.11 Correspondence and meetings:
269.11.1 – Clerk’s report on correspondence received and meetings attended – Clerk has received annual report from South West Lakes Trust – to be left in Moorland Hall for viewing. Clerk also reported complimentary note on toilets.
269.11.2 – Councillors’ reports on correspondence received and meetings attended – Police have highlighted concerns over a spate of burglaries and raised attention to a man and a woman in a white Ford Focus. TB in Deer may be discussed at a future Forum meeting

269.12 Items for Next Agenda: Dog fouling in the village, SIDS equipment – additional post, overgrown paths, storage unit

Date of the Next Meeting was confirmed as 15 October at 7.30pm.

The member of the public left at 10pm

Under Standing Order 1c, the Council resolves that in view of the confidential nature of the business about to be transacted (legal or commercial), the press and public be excluded and they are instructed to withdraw.

269.8 Update from Snowdrop Valley Comittee: Taken out of order due to need to exclude the press and public.
269.8.1 – Selection of Bus Company – the recommendation of the Snowdrop Valley Committee was approved
269.8.2 – Approval of Proposed Budget – further details are required, and the decision was deferred to an Extraordinary meeting to be called on 1 October 2019 at 6.30pm

There being no other business the meeting closed at 10.20 pm.
The next Ordinary Meeting of Cutcombe Parish Council will be held on Tuesday 15 October 2019 at 7.30pm in the Moorland Hall, with an Extraordinary Meeting on Tuesday 1 October 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall.

All are welcome to all meetings

 

April 2019

Site created by the Wheddon Cross Community copyright 2002