home businesses services virtual walk what's on clubs church history snowdrop valley things to do photo gallery



Return to www.wheddoncross.org.uk/Parish Council

Notice of the Snowdrop Valley 2020 Committee Meeting – Tuesday 12 November 2019 at 7.00pm in the Moorland Hall

All Committee Meetings are open to members of the public and the press

Agenda
1. Public Question Time
2. Apologies for absence
3. Declarations of Interest
4. To approve the Minutes of the meeting held on 15 October 2019 and any Outstanding Actions
5. To approve purchase of signs, flags and A-Boards and consider printing requirements
6. To receive update on maintenance work within the valley
7. To review options for taxi service to operate when no buses are running
8. To receive update on potential sponsors
9. To consider updates to terms and conditions, prizes and promotion for Photography Competition
10. To receive report from Coordinator and consider recommendations, including:
a. Staff
b. Leaflet
c. Event promotion
11. Items for next agenda
12. Date of next meeting

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety, and Human Rights.

N J Kemp, Parish Clerk
5 November 2019

Notice of the Snowdrop Valley 2020 Committee Meeting – Tuesday 15 October 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

All Committee Meetings are open to members of the public and the press

Agenda
1. Public Question Time
2. Apologies for absence
3. Declarations of Interest
4. To approve the Minutes of the meeting held on 10 September 2019 and any Outstanding Actions
5. To receive update on budget
6. To receive update on maintenance work within the valley
7. To review options for taxi service to operate when no buses are running
8. To receive update on potential sponsors
9. To consider promotion for Photographic Competition
10. To agree action points and responsibilities for event plan
11. Items for next agenda
12. Date of next meeting

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety, and Human Rights.

N J Kemp, Parish Clerk
09 October 2019

DRAFT Minutes of the Snowdrop Valley 2020 Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 15 October 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

Present: Cllrs Eric Norman (Chair), John Anson & Roger Foxwell, with Angela Edwards, Gill Langdon, Frank O’Neill, Jim Winzer, Amanda Hamley (Snowdrop Valley Coordinator), and Nic Kemp (Parish Clerk).

4.1 Public Question Time: None

4.2 Apologies for absence: Gemma Jackson. Cllr Norman apologised for missing the previous meeting. Cllr Norman noted that Sue White was absent.

4.3 Declarations of Interest:
Mr Winzer – staff member
Cllr Anson – budget - Councillor
Cllr Foxwell – budget - Councillor
Cllr Norman – budget - Councillor

4.4 Minutes of the Last Meeting and Outstanding Actions: Cllr Norman signed the minutes of the meeting held on 10 September 2019 as a true and accurate record.

4.5 To receive update on budget: Clerk reported there had been an alteration to the budget due to an increase in the road closure cost. This would be supported by Exmoor National Park Authority and the Parish Council had approved the budget.

Under standing order 1c, due to the confidential nature of the business to be conducted – commercial information in the form of quotations – the press and public were excluded from the meeting for agenda item 4.6 – to review quotations received maintenance work within the valley

Cllr Foxwell left the room at 6.40pm as having provided a quotation for maintenance work in the valley.

4.6 To receive update on maintenance work within the valley: Clerk presented the two quotations received, and noted a third organisation could not carry out the full work required but could offer some services. Committee debated and selected a preferred supplier based on cost and availability to be presented to Council for ratification.

Cllr Foxwell re-joined the meeting at 6.45pm.

Cllr Foxwell and Norman, wih Mr O’Neill will form a working party to tidy area by gate.

4.7 To review options for taxi service to operate when no buses are running: Clerk to contact local providers to ask if they would be interested in making a proposal to the Committee.

4.8 To receive update on potential sponsors: Cllr Norman reported 3 confirmed sponsors, and 3 interested. Sponsorship will also include flyer/poster on board in Moorland Hall.

4.9 To consider promotion for Photography Competition: Details will be included in November issue of Across Exmoor. “Coming Soon” on website. Cllr Foxwell confirmed local photographer had agreed to be judge. Coordinator to write article for West Somerset Free Press. Cllr Norman to contact journalist for Western Morning News. Mrs Edwards to send details to school newsletters. Mr O’Neill has contact at West Somerset Radio. Coordinator to prepare poster, Clerk to print, Cllr Foxwell to distribute. Cllrs Foxwell and Norman to source prizes.

4.10 To agree action points and responsibilities for event plan: Approved as circulated. Mr O’Neil to request display boards from ENPA and Porlock Visitor Centre, Mrs Langdon to request from Church and Moorland Hall.

4.11 Items for Next Agenda: None.

4.12 Date of Next Meeting: Tuesday 12 November 2019 at 7pm in the Moorland Hall.

Cllr Norman closed the meeting at 7.30pm

 

Notice of the Snowdrop Valley 2020 Committee Meeting – Tuesday 10 September 2019 at 7.00pm in the Moorland Hall

All Committee Meetings are open to members of the public and the press

Agenda
1. Public Question Time
2. Apologies for absence and welcome to new committee members
3. Declarations of Interest
4. To approve the Minutes of the meeting held on 16 July 2019 and any Outstanding Actions
5. To review quotations received from bus companies, and select operator
6. To agree draft budget
7. To review options for taxi service to operate when no buses are running
8. To consider charging for bus parking
9. To consider additional postcards
10. To receive update on potential sponsors
11. To receive update on Photographic Competition
12. Items for next agenda
13. Date of next meeting

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety, and Human Rights.


N J Kemp, Parish Clerk
03 September 2019

Minutes of the Snowdrop Valley 2020 Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 10 September 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

Present: Cllrs John Anson & Roger Foxwell, with Frank O’Neill, Jim Winzer, Gill Langdon, Angela Edwards, Amanda Hamley (Snowdrop Valley Coordinator), and Nic Kemp (Parish Clerk).

As the Chairman was absent, Mrs Langdon nominated Cllr Anson (sec Mr Winzer) to chair the meeting. Unanimously agreed. Cllr Anson opened the meeting at 7.10pm

3.1 Public Question Time: None

Cllr Foxwell joined the meeting at 7.10pm.

3.2 Apologies for absence: Sue White. Cllr Anson noted that Cllr Norman and Gemma Jackson were absent.

3.3 Declarations of Interest:
Mr Winzer – staff member

3.4 Minutes of the Last Meeting and Outstanding Actions: Cllr Anson signed the minutes of the meeting held on 16 July 2019 as a true and accurate record with one correction to the closing date of the photographic competition.

Under standing order 1c, due to the confidential nature of the business to be conducted – commercial information in the form of quotations – the press and public were excluded from the meeting for agenda item 3.5 – to review quotations received from bus companies and select operator

3.5 To review quotations received from bus companies and select operator: Clerk presented the quotes received and noted that 7 companies had been invited to quote. Committee debated the quotations and a preferred supplier was selected, to be presented to Council for ratification.

3.6 To agree draft budget: Clerk presented the budget and updated with the anticipated cost from the bus company. Cllr Foxwell advised of the maintenance work required in the valley and updated the budget with an anticipated cost. Clerk to seek quotes for the work to be completed in October, and to confirm with Badgeworthy Land Co that the work can be carried out. Draft budget agreed to be presented to Council for ratification. Clerk advised that as budget shows a net loss, Committee need to be clear on the benefits to the community.

3.7 To review options for taxi service to operate when no buses are running: Deferred to next meeting.

3.8 To consider charging for bus parking: Coordinator queried whether bus parties should be charged to park. It was agreed not to charge buses.

3.9 To consider additional souvenirs: Cllr Anson reported that scarves were not an option. Clerk and Coordinator to source postcards.

3.10 To receive update on potential sponsors: Deferred to next meeting.

3.11 To receive update on Photographic Competition: Coordinator to prepare certificates – Clerk to laminate. Coordinator to promote in parish magazine, website, facebook. Coordinator noted that this may result in additional hours. Mrs Langdon and Mr O’Neill to set up display and prepare box for votes. Mrs Edwards to ask Gemma Jackson to promote with local schools. Cllr Foxwell to ask local photographer to act as judge, and local business to provide prize. Clerk advised Exmoor Visitor cannot guarantee to offer front cover as prize due to layout restrictions.

3.12 Items for Next Agenda: Photography Competition promotion; Options for taxi service; Update on sponsors

3.13 Date of Next Meeting: Tuesday 15 October 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

Cllr Anson closed the meeting at 9.00pm

 

Notice of the Snowdrop Valley 2020 Committee Meeting – Tuesday 16 July 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

All Committee Meetings are open to members of the public and the press

Agenda
1. Public Question Time
2. Apologies for absence and welcome to new committee members
3. Declarations of Interest
4. To approve the Minutes of the meeting held on 18 June 2019 and any Matters Arising
5. To consider setting draft budget
6. To agree format of bus service
7. To agree format of Photographic Competition
8. To consider additional souvenirs
9. Items for next agenda
10. Date of next meeting

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety, and Human Rights.

N J Kemp, Parish Clerk
10 July 2019

Minutes of the Snowdrop Valley 2020 Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 16 July 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

Present: Cllrs Eric Norman (Chairman), John Anson & Roger Foxwell (part of meeting), with Frank O’Neill, Jim Winzer, Sue White, Gill Langdon, Angela Edwards, Amanda Hamley (Snowdrop Valley Coordinator), and Nic Kemp (Parish Clerk).

2.1 Public Question Time: None

2.2 Apologies for absence and welcome to new committee members: No apologies. Cllr Norman noted that Gemma Jackson and Cllr Foxwell were absent.

2.3 Declarations of Interest:
Mr Winzer – staff member
Cllr Norman – owner of Rest and Be Thankful Inn

2.4 Minutes of the Last Meeting and Matters Arising: Cllr Norman signed the minutes of the meeting held on 18 June 2019 as a true and accurate record.

2.5 Setting a Draft Budget: It was agreed that Cllr Norman, Cllr Anson, Clerk and Coordinator draft a budget to present at the next meeting.

Cllr Foxwell joined the meeting

2.6 Format of Bus Service: It was agreed the preferred option would be to collect passengers from the Rest and Be Thankful (R&B) Car Park, and to drop them at the Moorland Hall on returning from the valley. The bus would then also drop passengers at the R&B Car Park who did not want to go to the Moorland Hall, before collecting the next group of passengers. This option will require control of parking at the hall to ensure safe access for visitors, and suitable turning for the buses. On days when there is no Snowdrop Café, the bus driver can inform passengers that they should remain on the bus until the R&B Car park. Staff members in the R&B car park to attend to passengers leaving bus at hall as well as manage R&B car park. Clerk to confirm with Moorland Hall Committee that this is acceptable, and proceed with invites to quote once route is confirmed.

2.7 Format of Photographic Competition: Coordinator circulated proposed Terms and Conditions. Amateur Photographer – defined as not paid or not won competition before. Will rely on honesty of entrants. Juniors to be 16 and under. Closing date to be 7 February 2020 (Prop Mrs Langdon, Sec Mrs Edwards, unanimously agreed), entries to be sent to Rest and Be Thankful Inn, marked “Snowdrop Valley Photograph Competition”. Boards required to display photos. School has one. Committee members to check if they have access to any. Clerk to ask Exmoor National Park if they have any to loan. Clerk to ask Moorland Hall if the photos can be positioned and displayed throughout the 2 weeks of Snowdrop Café. Winner to be announced on final day – 23 February 2019 (Prop Mrs Langdon, Sec Mrs Edwards, unanimously agreed). Committee to allot prizes after closing on 22 February 2019. Rest and Be Thankful Inn will provide prize. Exmoor House may provide a prize. 1st to 3rd in each of 4 categories (Flora, fauna, landscape, junior) can go into calendar. Clerk to confirm if cover of Exmoor Visitor would have overall winner as cover. Committee members to take on setting up and running competition so does not add to Coordinator’s hours.

2.8 Additional Souvenirs: Coordinator has researched – National Trust confirm most popular souvenirs are postcards, fridge magnets, coasters, scarves. Already have all these, except scarves. Mrs White to ask Cutcombe WI if they may be interested in making scarves to be sold – price would need to cover their own costs and make small contribution to Snowdrop Valley.

2.9 Items for Next Agenda: Allocate jobs for running the photographic competition

2.10 Date of Next Meeting: Tuesday 10 September 2019 at 7pm in the Moorland Hall

The Chairman closed the meeting at 7.30 pm

 

Notice of the Snowdrop Valley 2019 Committee Meeting – Tuesday 18 June 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

All Committee Meetings are open to members of the public and the press

Agenda
1. Public Question Time
2. Apologies for absence and welcome to new committee members
3. Declarations of Interest
4. To approve the Minutes of the meeting held on 21 May 2019 and any Matters Arising
5. To agree areas of responsibility for Clerk and Coordinator
6. To set dates for 2020 scheme
7. To consider options for the Photographic Competition
8. To consider options for provision of bus service
9. To consider additional souvenirs
10. Items for next agenda
11. Date of next meeting

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety, and Human Rights.

N J Kemp, Parish Clerk
12 June 2019

Minutes of the Snowdrop Valley 2020 Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 18 June 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

Present: Cllrs Eric Norman (Chairman), John Anson & Roger Foxwell, with Frank O’Neill, Jim Winzer, Sue White, Gill Langdon, Angela Edwards, Gemma Jackson, Amanda Hamley (Snowdrop Valley Coordinator), Nic Kemp (Parish Clerk) and one parishioner.

1.1 Public Question Time: None

1.2 Apologies for absence and welcome to new committee members: No apologies. Clerk confirmed that Vicky Kirby has stepped down from the committee. Cllr Norman welcomed Angela Edwards and Gemma Jackson from Cutcombe School and Gill Langdon representing Snowdrop Café charities.

1.3 Declarations of Interest:
Mr Winzer – staff member
Cllr Norman – owner of Rest and Be Thankful Inn

1.4 Minutes of the Last Meeting and Matters Arising: Cllr Norman signed the minutes of the meeting held on 21 May 2019 as a true and accurate record.

1.5 Areas of Responsibility for Clerk and Coordinator: Clerk read out the split (attached to these minutes) totaling 70 hours for the Clerk, and 106 hours for the Coordinator – these include estimates depending on the number of meetings, and do not include any time allocated for the photographic competition.

1.6 Dates for 2020 scheme: It was agreed to bring the scheme forward by one week – to run from 25 January to 23 February. First two weeks walking weeks, last two weeks buses – the last week is half term (17-21 Feb).

1.7 Photographic Competition: To be advertised before Snowdrop Valley, in Across Exmoor, Exmoor Visitor and on National Park website. All photos to be received in printed format prior to scheme start, so they can be displayed in the hall throughout the scheme. Will need boards to display them. Judging to include People’s Choice. Prize is the top 12 will be included in a calendar. T&C to include amateur only, and photos must not have won another competition. Categories – Flora; Fauna; Landscape; Junior

A second parishioner joined the meeting.

1.8 Options for the provision of bus service: Clerk had spoken to consultant over options, who had provided some helpful advice, and quoted to assist. It was agreed not to proceed with quote. Buses to run from 8-23 February inclusive. Must accept dogs. Query over pick-up and drop off points – Cattle Market, Rest and Be Thankful car park, or Moorland Hall. Using Moorland Hall could save the need for one of the two trailers if we do not have one in the Rest and Be Thankful car park. Staff in the Rest and Be Thankful car park ensure that visitors are directed correctly. Clerk to submit invites to quote once route finalised.

1.9 Additional souvenirs: Deferred to next meeting

1.10 Items for Next Agenda: Finalising route for buses; Additional Souvenirs

1.11 Date of Next Meeting: Tuesday 16 July 2019.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 7.30 pm

Breakdown of roles, responsibilities and estimated hours between Clerk and Coordinator

Clerk’s roles

Meetings (est 10) 30
Bus tender 5
Road Closure 1
Leaflet - invoice adverts 1
Website - set up and update Coach bookings page 2
Staff meeting 1
Setting up, prep trailers, marking walks, taking down, clearing up 12
Printing and Laminating 8
Banking during scheme 5
PAYE and Salaries 5
Total 70 hours

Coordinator’s roles

Meetings (est 10) 20
Leaflet - check info, sell adverts, chase adverts 8
Signs - source, design and receive - feather, road, A-frame 8
Souvenirs - research 1
Admin 8
Contact and confirm existing staff 1
Recruiting new staff (if necc) 1
Website - update main SV page 2
Facebook 2
Emails 10
Risk assessments 1
Staff meeting 1
Rota and timesheets 8
Setting up, prep trailers, marking walks, taking down, clearing up 12
Printing and Laminating 8
Site management during scheme - 0.5hr / day 15
Total 106 hours

No time allocated for photography competition - set up, promotion, arranging judging, presentation etc. Est 4 hours promotion. Set up, judging, arranging presentation for winners – unknown.

 

Notice of the Snowdrop Valley 2020 Committee Meeting – Tuesday 21 May 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

All Committee Meetings are open to members of the public and the press

Agenda
1. Election of Chairman
2. Public Question Time
3. Apologies for absence
4. Declarations of Interest
5. To approve the Minutes of the meeting held on 19 March 2019 and any Matters Arising
6. To discuss committee membership from active organisations
7. To consider options for the Photographic Competition
8. To consider potential sponsors
9. To consider options for provision of bus service
10. To consider suggestions for improvements to the Market parking
11. Items for next agenda
12. Date of next meeting

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety, and Human Rights.

N J Kemp, Parish Clerk
15 May 2019

DRAFT Minutes of the Snowdrop Valley 2019 Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 21 May 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

Present: Cllrs Eric Norman (Chairman), John Anson & Roger Foxwell, with Frank O’Neill, Jim Winzer, Sue White, Amanda Hamley (Snowdrop Valley Coordinator) and Nic Kemp (Parish Clerk).

1.1 Election of Chairman: Mr O’Neill proposed Cllr Norman as Chairman (Mr Winzer sec). Unanimously agreed.

1.2 Public Question Time: None

1.3 Apologies for absence: None.

1.4 Declarations of Interest:
Mr Winzer – staff member
Cllr Norman – owner of Rest and Be Thankful Inn

1.5 Minutes of the Last Meeting and Matters Arising: Cllr Norman signed the minutes of the meeting held on 19 March 2019 as a true and accurate record.

1.6 Members from Active Organisations: Cllr Norman invited Mrs White to join the Committee and welcomed her. Cllr Norman proposed adding 2 further members to the Committee from interested organisations. Clerk to contact Vicky Kirby and the School to request a representative be present at meetings. Clerk to contact another parishioner to invite to join the Committee.

1.9 Options for Bus Service: Taken out of order to allow consideration.
Clerk to contact former councillor to ask for advice regarding possible other ways to transport visitors to the valley. Mrs White confirmed it was essential that the buses allow dogs on board. Miss Hamley explained why the situation had changed part way through the 2019 scheme. Mrs White also suggested a parishioner who may be able to advise on bus use.

1.7 Photographic Competition: Miss Hamley confirmed the purpose of the competition was to encourage visitors into the hall (and Snowdrop Café). Suggestions include having a local photographer to judge, people’s choice with ballot box in hall or through facebook/website, placing a laptop and projector in the hall to display, produce a calendar of the winning photos, need terms and conditions of entry to include copyright of images. Miss Hamley to prepare proposal for consideration at next meeting.

1.9 Further discussion on the bus service: Mrs White asked for clarification on the pick up points for the bus, and asked if it could run from the hall, suggesting a staff member on the bus.

1.8 Potential Sponsors: Cllr Norman confirmed that all the sponsors from 2019 would sponsor again, and he had approached 2 others. Clerk to be informed of any potential companies identified. Sponsors to received additional promotion on website and facebook as well as leaflet.

1.10 Market Parking: Needs a larger trailer. Layout of 2019 worked well. Need more signs to car park, and from car park to village. Large maps for staff to point out walks, A-frames to have details of each day in café and village establishments.

1.11 Items for Next Agenda: Photographic competition; Feedback on bus options; Set dates for 2020; Merchandise.

1.12 Date of Next Meeting: Tuesday 18 June 2019.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 7.30 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice of the Snowdrop Valley 2019 Committee Meeting – Tuesday 19 March 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

All Committee Meetings are open to members of the public and the press

Agenda
1. Apologies for absence
2. Notes of the Last Meeting and Any Matters Arising
3. SV Coordinator’s Report on the Scheme
4. Parish Clerk’s Financial Report
5. Plan for going forwards
6. Items for next agenda
7. Date of next meeting

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety, and Human Rights.

N J Kemp, Parish Clerk
13 March 2019

Minutes of the Snowdrop Valley 2019 Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 19 March 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

Present: Cllr Eric Norman (Chairman), Cllr John Anson, Roger Foxwell, Frank O’Neill, Jim Winzer, Amanda Hamley (Snowdrop Valley Coordinator) and Nic Kemp (Parish Clerk).

1. Public Question Time: None

2. Apologies for absence: Vicky Kirby.

3. Minutes of the Last Meeting and Matters Arising: Cllr Norman signed the minutes of the meeting held on 8 January 2019 as a true and accurate record.

4. Snowdrop Valley Coordinator’s Report: Miss Hamley reported – there were 2 complaints which have been responded to, and 2 accidents both passed to the Clerk who has followed up and has completed accident forms.
Further points:
• Buses running from hall – provides shelter for visitors, supports Snowdrop Café (main focus of event – local charities raising money), allows large trailer to be used in Market car park, more toilets
• Better marking of how to get from car park to village – possibly feather flags
• Better road signs in village
• Maps – can be updated into circular walks
• Buses expensive – looking in to different options
• Car park – could have it not manned when no buses and have better marked donation box. Can issue mobility passes by email with defined timeslot, and have cheque payment in advance or pay online
• Different staffing focus – each location, one staff morning, one afternoon, one 11-2.30 to cover busy times.
• Look at date for next year – adjust by one week as snowdrops are out earlier, and maybe buses run last 2 weeks

5. Clerk’s Financial Report: The Clerk apologised for omitting Declaration of Interests as agenda item.

Cllr Norman declared a pecuniary interest as owner of a local establishment
Mr Winzer declared a personal interest as a staff member

The Clerk circulated figures to date and the expected amounts still to pay. Cllr Norman passed on donations collected in Exmoor House. The Committee anticipates the scheme will essentially break even once all costs have been allocated.

6. Plan for going forwards: Suggestions include –
• Buses running from hall
• Photographic competition based in hall – visitors can drop entries in a box, needs to take into account printing costs as would need to provide printer
• Coffees – subsidise the coffees and teas in Snowdrop Café via the car park tickets
• Publicise which charity is running Snowdrop Café each day
• Have A-frame boards in car park for each establishment
• Invite each Snowdrop Café charity to have a representative on the committee
• Gain more feedback from staff about how far visitors come – one came from Netherlands this year
• Promote that they are “Natural” snowdrops, not cultivated
• Ask National Trust what their merchandise best sellers are

7. Items for Next Agenda: Buses running from hall; Photographic competition; Dates for 2020; Purchase of shed to store equipment; merchandise; further options on buses.

8. Date of Next Meeting: Tuesday 21st May 2019.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 7.25 pm

Notice of the Snowdrop Valley 2019 Committee Meeting Tuesday 8 January 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

All Committee Meetings are open to members of the public and the press

Agenda

  1. Public Question Time
  2. Apologies for absence
  3. Declarations of Interest
  4. Minutes of the Last Meeting and Any Matters Arising
  5. Budget
  6. Leaflets, maps and merchandise
  7. Signs, layout and setting up
  8. Path clearance/maintenance/info boards in the valley
  9. Risk Assessment
  10. Publicity
  11. Staff
  12. Terms of Reference
  13. Photography Competition
  14. Items for next agenda
  15. Date of next meeting

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder,Health and Safety, and Human Rights.    

N J Kemp, Parish Clerk
02 January 2019

Minutes of the Snowdrop Valley 2019 Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 8 January 2019 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

Present: Cllr Eric Norman (Chairman), Cllr John Anson, Frank O’Neill, Jim Winzer, Amanda Hamley (Snowdrop Valley Coordinator) and Nic Kemp (Parish Clerk).

1. Public Question Time: None

2. Apologies for absence: Roger Foxwell. Cllr Norman welcomed Mr O’Neill to the committee.

3. Declarations of Interest: None.

4. Minutes of the Last Meeting and Matters Arising: Cllr Norman signed the minutes of the meeting held on 11 December 2018 as a true and accurate record.

5. Budget: No changes to budget. Budget has been approved by Council.

6. Leaflets, Maps and Merchandise: Leaflets have been printed and distributed to National Park and Visitor Centres in Dulverton, Minehead, Lynton, Welington, Taunton, Barnstaple, Ilfracombe, Woolacombe, Watchet, and Woolacombe.
Maps – approximately 2,000 of each map. Clerk to confirm with printers how quickly more copies can be produced, and order during scheme if necessary.
Clerk confirmed that Gemma Parry may produce keyrings and coasters to be sold on commission basis, so no cost to Committee. No merchandise to be bought this year. In an attempt to reduce quantities of old stock, a free card or postcard will be offered to all visitors. They would pay for additional cards.

7. Signs, layout and setting up: Set up to be Tuesday 29 January at 10am. Additional stakes needed in valley to support tape. Coordinator to ask ENPA ranger re work on benches and sign at entrance to valley. Clerk to ask Marlene Allinson for copy of poster to amend for 2019 and distribute around villages.
Agreed to purchase a laminator for signs (est cost £30 for laminator and £10 each for A4 and A3 pack of pouches). Also agreed to purchase 2 cash boxes (est £10 each) one for car park and one for bus tickets.

8. Path Clearance/Maintenance/Info board in Valley: Patrick Watts-Mabbot from ENPA will have some volunteers tidying and strengthening a section of path in the valley on 6th February. Coordinator to arrange sign warning visitors of the work. PW-M is happy to have visitors passing while work is ongoing. Additional info board in valley at weir to be investigated for 2020.

9. Risk Assessment: Coordinator has carried out Event, and Operational Risk Assessments. To be distributed to all staff at Staff Meeting, and copy to be available in each trailer during scheme.

10. Publicity: Cllr Norman passed round a 2 page copy from Western Morning News written by Martin Hesp. Coordinator has received a request for an interview from Exmoor Radio, and asked Cllr Norman to do interview this year as still new to role. The Yarn Market, Dunster are advertising Snowdrop Valley, including a tour. Clerk to contact, thanking for their interest and asking them to collect a pass from the trailer. Website up to date. Coordinator is updating Facebook page.

11. Staff: In hand. Staff meeting following this meeting.

12. Terms of Reference: Terms of Reference have been agreed by Council, and govern the Snowdrop Valley Committee. Clerk to distribute Terms of Reference and Code of Conduct by email. Clerk also explained the Declaration of Interests central to the Code of Conduct, and that while Snowdrop Valley Committee meetings were open meetings, if an item of confidential nature was to be discussed, the public would be excluded as per Standing Orders, and the committee must respect the confidentiality of the item.

13. Photography Competition: Coordinator to promote the Photography Competition this year (2019) to take place next year (2020).

14. Items for the Next Agenda: None

15. Date of Next Meeting: 19 March 2019 – at 6.30pm at the Moorland Hall.


The Chairman closed the meeting at 7.30 pm

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice of the Snowdrop Valley 2019 Committee Meeting – Tuesday 11 December 2018 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

All Committee Meetings are open to members of the public and the press

Agenda

  1. Public Question Time
  2. Apologies for absence
  3. Declarations of Interest
  4. Minutes of the Last Meeting and Any Matters Arising
  5. Budget
  6. Snowdrop Valley Coordinator
  7. Leaflets and maps Merchandise
  8. Paths and Clearance in the Valley
  9. Staff
  10. Publicity
  11. Signs
  12. Access to the Valley
  13. Terms of Reference
  14. Items for next agenda
  15. Date of next meeting

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety, and Human Rights.    

Minutes of the Snowdrop Valley 2019 Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 11 December 2018 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

Present: Cllr Eric Norman (Chairman), Cllr John Anson, Roger Foxwell, Jim Winzer, Amanda Hamley (Snowdrop Valley Coordinator) and Nic Kemp (Parish Clerk).

Public Question Time: None

Apologies for absence: None.  Cllr Norman welcomed Mr Winzer to the committee and Ms Hamley as the Snowdrop Valley Coordinator.

Declarations of Interest: Cllr Norman personal interest - owner of business sponsoring Snowdrop Valley.

Minutes of the Last Meeting and Matters Arising: Minutes of the meeting held on 20 November 2018 were signed as a true and accurate record.

Budget: Clerk had distributed draft budget.  Added in costs of £250 for signs, £300 for merchandise and £100 for additional printing, including maps.  Reduced sponsorship income to £750.  Budget to be passed to next Parish Council meeting for ratification.

Snowdrop Valley Coordinator: Amanda Hamley has taken on the role.

Leaflets and Maps: Clerk distributed the draft leaflets from the printers.  Amendments suggested to details on front page.  All sponsors detailed in centre of leaflet.

Merchandise: Mr Winzer suggested some of the older cards could be given away to visitors as they were difficult to sell.  Clerk, Coordinator and Mr Winzer to check stock and assess if additional stock is needed.

Paths and Clearance in the Valley: Coordinator, Cllr Norman and Mr Foxwell to visit valley Friday 21 December to confirm any additional requirements, and carry out risk assessment  Mr Foxwell has checked all Walks to the valley and spoken to ENPA Ranger.

Staff: Clerk has one new staff member.  Coordinator and Clerk to look at rotas and staff numbers to incorporate the additional shifts.  One person will be required on duty in the car park each day throughout Snowdrop Valley.  Clerk to ask ENPA if the trailer is available for shelter.  Cllr Norman to ask local shoots if they have walkie talkies we can borrow so staff can keep in touch.

Publicity: In hand.  Clerk confirmed Marlene Allinson – former clerk – produced the additional posters for Snowdrop Valley.

Signs: Clerk and Coordinator to visit lockup by Sports Pavillion to assess requirements.

Access to the Valley: Clerk has received enquiry from AtWest regarding if they can continue to operate their group visits to Snowdrop Valley, requesting a pass and donating £1 per passenger to drive their own bus into the valley while the park and ride service is not operating.  It was agreed they could continue to do this.

Terms of Reference: Clerk circulated Draft Terms of Reference for the Snowdrop Valley Committee which will be discussed and agreed at the next Parish Council meeting. Items for the Next Agenda: Road sweeping

Date of Next Meeting: 8th January 2019 – at 6.30pm at the Moorland Hall.  Also to be a Staff Meeting
The meeting closed at 7.30 pm

N J Kemp, Parish Clerk
04 December 2018

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice of the Snowdrop Valley 2019 Steering Group Meeting – Tuesday 20 November 2018 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

All Committee Meetings are open to members of the public and the press
Dear Members
You are summoned to the Meeting of the Snowdrop Valley Steering Group to be held on Tuesday 20th November 2018 at 6.30 pm in the Moorland Hall

Agenda

  1. Public Question Time
  2. Apologies for absence
  3. Declarations of Interest
  4. Minutes of the Last Meeting and Any Matters Arising
  5. Revised format of scheme
  6. Budget
  7. Bus Contract
  8. Paths and Clearance in the Valley
  9. Signs
  10. Leaflets and maps
  11. Publicity
  12. Snowdrop Valley Coordinator
  13. Any Other Business
  14. Date of next meeting

    Minutes of the Snowdrop Valley 2019 Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 20 November 2018 at 6.30pm in the Moorland Hall

    Present: Cllr Eric Norman (Chairman), Cllr John Anson, Roger Foxwell, Nic Kemp (Parish Clerk) and one parishioner.

    1. Public Question Time: None

    2. Apologies for absence: Vicky Kirby, Jim Winzer

    3. Declarations of Interest: None

    4. Minutes of the Last Meeting and Matters Arising: Minutes of the meeting held on 18 September 2018 were signed as a true and accurate record.

    5. Revised format of scheme: As agreed by the Council, due to increased running costs, the adverts in the leaflet will be increased in price, car parking will be charged at the Farmers Market, and the walks to the valley with be sponsored. New committee members are required.  Jim Winzer – who works on Snowdrop Valley – is interested in joining the committee, but unable to come to this meeting.

    7. Bus Contract: Chairman changed order of items due to time constraints.  Cllr Anson signed the bus contract with Taunton Minibuses.

    8. Paths and Clearance in the Valley: Cllr Norman thanked Roger Foxwell on the work carried out in the valley.  Mr Foxwell recomended a site visit to establish any further work required.  Cllr Norman and Mr Foxwell to visit during w/c 26 November, and to inform Badgworthy Land Co prior to any works commencing.  Additional stakes along path required and benches by gate need attention.  Clerk to contact ENPA for these works.

    9. Signs: ENPA Ranger Ione Wilcox has taken the sign from the valley to have it rebuilt by Field Services team.
    The parishioner left the meeting.

    10. Leaflets and Maps: Leaflets need to be with printers by 6 December.  This gives restricted time to obtain sponsors and sell adverts.  Cllr Norman to assist Clerk with outstanding requirements during 1st week of December.

    6. Budget: Ticket process to be left as last year – Return trips: Adult £6, Senior £5, Children £2.  Single (from valley only) Adult or Senior £3, Children £2.Clerk to prepare budget and distribute to committee.

    11. Publicity: Cllr Norman has been in touch with Martin Hesp re articles in Gazette and Western Morning News.  Exmoor Magazine will include a feature in Spring issue.  Clerk to confirm with printers re posters printed in previous years.

    12. Snowdrop Valley Coordinator: Clerk to arrange interviews with all applicants straight after closing date (30 November 2018).

    13. Any Other Business: Items for next agenda - Merchandise.

    14. Date of next Meeting: 11 December at 6.30pm.

    The meeting closed at 7.30 pm

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety, and Human Rights.    

N J Kemp, Parish Clerk
13 November 2018

 RETURN TO PARISH COUNCIL HOME PAGE  

Site created by the Wheddon Cross Community copyright 2002